Thanks to widely-popularized educational and neuroscientific research, it seems like everyone is (finally!) talking about progressive education! We all want our children to be engaged citizens, stewards of the earth, joyful learners, and innovative thinkers—a radical idea when Green Acres School championed it in the 1930s. Now we know that cultivating this type of scholarship and leadership is more essential than ever—and Green Acres is proud to be among the original progressive schools in the nation.
On Sunday, October 28 from 1:30-3:30 PM, families are invited to discover what authentic progressive education looks like at Green Acres School’s “Hands-On, Not Heads-Down!” Discovery Day. The afternoon will showcase all that progressive education has to offer through a variety of challenging, engaging, and fun activities. Learn more here.
There's something for everyone at Discovery Day and this event is not to be missed. Current and prospective families are welcome, as well as curious community members! RSVP to Judy: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Green Acres School Parents Association (GASPA)
GASPA is a parent organization run by a parent volunteer steering committee that interacts with the Head of School and the Board and acts as a bridge to the larger community. All parents or legal guardians for Green Acres students are GASPA members. Each member is entitled to one vote (with a limit of two votes per family) in any matter that comes before the membership of GASPA. Led by two co-chairs, the Parents Association members collaborate to:
- Facilitate communication among parents through parent education programs, support groups, and gatherings of parents in specific grade groupings
- Enhance communication between parents and the Board of Trustees and the Administration
- Supplement the School’s social and education programs
- Help the School to coordinate and utilize parent volunteers
- Plan events to welcome new families to the School
- Organize staff appreciation events and activities