Staff FAQs

Please click on a question and the answer will appear below it.

When do you start hiring new staff?

We will begin interviewing in January, after we know which positions will be open. We will continue interviewing until all of the positions are full. Submitting an application does not guarantee that you will be called for an interview. Generally, we are able to let you know shortly after your interview whether or not we will be offering you a position. If you are hired we will send you a contract which must be returned to us within two weeks.

Do I have to work the whole six weeks?

Yes, it is important that you are able to commit to the entire six weeks.

What do I need to do to apply?

You need to complete the application and have two references submitted to us. When that information is in, if we have a position available, we will email you to schedule an interview with the Director.

How many times do I get paid?

Paychecks are given out three times.

Who can be a reference?

We require you to have two written references. It is best that they come from recent employers. If no one is available, then a coach, teacher, or supervisor from a volunteer experience will be fine. The reference forms will be emailed directly upon completion of an online application. You may also download and have reference forms sent directly to Green Acres. It is important that you arrange for the references to be turned in. Once we have your completed application and both references and if there is a position available, we will contact you to arrange an interview.

Who gets the references?

It is your responsibility to get two written/email references and to follow up with the Camp Office to see that we have received them.

Do I have to go swimming?

All junior camp staff is required to be in the water swimming with the campers on a daily basis. If you are unable to swim for medical reasons you must bring in a doctor’s note. All junior and senior camp counselors must pass the Green Acres Camp swim test.

What is a Unit Leader?

A Unit Leader is responsible for the organization of a particular group or subject activity and the supervision of the staff and campers in that group or activity. In Junior Camp the Units are organized by the grade of the children. In Senior Camp, Unit Leaders teach a particular subject such as Photography or Science, etc.

How big is the staff?

We have about 90 counselors for 320 campers.

Do I have to attend Orientation?

Yes, the pre-camp orientation is required for all counselors. It is an important planning time as well as a valuable time to share experiences and get to know one another.
  • There are no events to display.
Catalogue School
11701 Danville Drive North Bethesda, MD 20852
powered by finalsite