Thanks to widely-popularized educational and neuroscientific research, it seems like everyone is (finally!) talking about progressive education! We all want our children to be engaged citizens, stewards of the earth, joyful learners, and innovative thinkers—a radical idea when Green Acres School championed it in the 1930s. Now we know that cultivating this type of scholarship and leadership is more essential than ever—and Green Acres is proud to be among the original progressive schools in the nation.
On Sunday, October 28 from 1:30-3:30 PM, families are invited to discover what authentic progressive education looks like at Green Acres School’s “Hands-On, Not Heads-Down!” Discovery Day. The afternoon will showcase all that progressive education has to offer through a variety of challenging, engaging, and fun activities. Learn more here.
There's something for everyone at Discovery Day and this event is not to be missed. Current and prospective families are welcome, as well as curious community members! RSVP to Judy: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our camp website will be updated by November 15, 2018. Please check back!
- Although 80% of the camp’s physical plant is air-conditioned, a lot of time is spent outside, so this can be a hot job!
- All Junior Camp staff and Lifeguards get in the pool every day. All new staff will need to pass a swimming test before camp starts.
- Counselors eat lunch with their homeroom groups. Junior Camp staff units meet once a week during the camp day for planning and coordination. Each staff member gets a short break each day.
- Staff members are paid every three weeks. Each staff group has a salary range that is determined by seniority and experience. CITs are paid a stipend in the range of $2406 to $2459; beginning Counselors make approximately $2511; Head Counselors’ salaries begin at about $3603; and Unit Leaders’ salaries begin at about $4566. Pool CITs start at $2779; Pool Counselors start at $3000; Pool Head Counselors start at about $4340. Since this is a temporary job, no health insurance or other benefits are offered.
- When camp units have an Extended Day or an overnight, the Counselors for that unit must stay after 3:30 PM (Units B & C) or overnight (Unit D).