Green Acres School students receive homework assignments starting in Grade 3. Our approach to homework is guided by the following points:
- Homework should not be “busy work”—homework is thoughtfully assigned to build skills and understanding and to give time for reflection.
- We want our students to understand the reasons behind their assignments.
- Assignments are given to help students to develop the habits of organization and responsibility, developing an even greater sense of ownership.
- All homework is developmentally appropriate, both in amount and in what it demands, and this differs by grade level.
- We recognize that there’s a tipping point. Homework can become counterproductive to learning and to help children develop their understanding–we strive to find the right balance.
- We want to work in partnership with you. We recognize that kids differ and that how they and you approach the homework process can be quite unique to families.
The Green Acres School Homework Club is offered to students in Grades 5 to 8 on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons from 3:10 PM to 4:00 PM. Homework Club is for students who want:
- A supervised, quiet study time.
- Help with organization of time and materials needed for homework completion.
- To make up class work or tests missed during absences.
- Access to school computers in order to complete school assignments.
- To work collaboratively with peers on assigned class work or projects.