Green Acres School students receive homework assignments starting in Grade 3. Our approach to homework is guided by the following points:
- Homework should not be “busy work”—homework is thoughtfully assigned to build skills and understanding and to give time for reflection.
- We want our students to understand the reasons behind their assignments.
- Assignments are given to help students to develop the habits of organization and responsibility, developing an even greater sense of ownership.
- All homework is developmentally appropriate, both in amount and in what it demands, and this differs by grade level.
- We recognize that there’s a tipping point. Homework can become counterproductive to learning and to help children develop their understanding–we strive to find the right balance.
- We want to work in partnership with you. We recognize that kids differ and that how they and you approach the homework process can be quite unique to families.