At Green Acres, mathematical concepts and skills are introduced and built upon as students progress through each grade. Initial instruction and practice with concrete objects help children understand important mathematical concepts. Written work and games then follow, permitting children to explore concepts further and to gain skill in applying them. Areas of study include:
- Numeration/number sense.
- Operations and computation.
- Data collection and analysis.
- Two-dimensional and three-dimensional geometry.
- Measurement and reference frames.
- Fractions and decimals.
- Patterns, rules, functions and algebra.
- Connections between these areas of mathematics.
Through mathematical exploration, children discover the beauty of patterns and the strength of logical reasoning. Emphasis is placed on:
- Understanding the meaning and structure of mathematical operations.
- Developing analytical reasoning skills and creativity to solve problems.
- Discovering varied ways to arrive at correct solutions.
- Learning fundamental skills for mental and written computation.
- Connecting mathematical ideas to real life experiences.
Children learn to see math as a language and develop ease in expressing themselves with number models, charts, and graphs. In the process, children consider which math tools to use, when to use them, and which are most efficient for solving a problem. They become competent and creative through experimentation with different materials and lively discussions in class.
The core program of study used is enVision Math which continues into the Middle School through sixth grade and is aligned with the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM). There is an emphasis throughout the program on differentiated instruction, allowing teachers to challenge and support students appropriately. Carefully structured assessments are included for each topic taught, which inform instruction. The enVision Math Curriculum is supplemented in many ways through a variety of additional materials, and through hands-on, authentic learning experiences. We strive to ensure that students develop appropriate concept and skill development in multiple ways while building an appreciation for mathematics as a positive and even creative endeavor.