Thanks to widely-popularized educational and neuroscientific research, it seems like everyone is (finally!) talking about progressive education! We all want our children to be engaged citizens, stewards of the earth, joyful learners, and innovative thinkers—a radical idea when Green Acres School championed it in the 1930s. Now we know that cultivating this type of scholarship and leadership is more essential than ever—and Green Acres is proud to be among the original progressive schools in the nation.
On Sunday, October 28 from 1:30-3:30 PM, families are invited to discover what authentic progressive education looks like at Green Acres School’s “Hands-On, Not Heads-Down!” Discovery Day. The afternoon will showcase all that progressive education has to offer through a variety of challenging, engaging, and fun activities. Learn more here.
There's something for everyone at Discovery Day and this event is not to be missed. Current and prospective families are welcome, as well as curious community members! RSVP to Judy: email@example.com.
Yes! Click here for more information and our bus stop locations.
Students applying to Grades 1-8 visit for a full day with their current peer group. They spend time with students and transition in small and large groups throughout the day. They work on multiple math and literacy based activities with teachers and participate in regularly scheduled Special Subject periods. Observations and assessments are made by our teachers during the student visit. This visit, together with the parent interview and information parents arrange to send about their children, provides the material we need to determine a successful match.
At Green Acres, we begin the process of helping families feel part of the community right away.
During the Green Acres Admission Process:
- Staff and current parents make personal contacts with families.
- Applicants visit with their Green Acres peers and begin to make friends.
- Greetings from Green Acres emails keep you informed.
- The New Parents Breakfast in March provides answers to your questions.
New Family Liaisons, assigned to each new family, begin their year-long association with you to welcome you, answer your questions, and help you and your child make contacts, essentially guiding you through the year. Liaisons attend many school events with you.
- New Families Pizza Party in May – at Green Acres!
- Summer Popsicles on the Green Acres Playground: relaxed times for families in each grade to make connections with new folks. Individual summer play dates are often arranged during these events.
- During the first week of school – admission staff and teachers walk new students to their classrooms until they feel comfortable on their own.
- Welcome Breakfast and Orientation for New Parents – Early September
- New Parents Board Reception – Mid September
- Back to School Nights – Mid September
- All School Family Picnic – Late September
- Parent Coffees and many more activities through the year.